Niagara County pistol permit process
1) Complete our handgun safety class, you can see our class schedule here: NYS Class Schedule
2) We will have the official Niagara County application in class. If you would like to get an application before class, you can go to Niagara County Permit office (Located in the Niagara County Courthouse, 175 Hawley St. Lockport 14094) and pick up application packet. You can also pick up your application packet at any of the Niagara County DMV locations. We will go over the application in class, you will not need to have your application the day of class.
3) Applicants need 4 character references. These 4 must reside in Niagara County. If you live in one of the 3 Niagara County cities then 2 of your 4 references must also live in your city (this is for the City of Niagara Falls, Lockport and North Townawanda only, you are only considered to live within one of these three cities if the one of the 3 listed cities Police departments patrol where you live). Niagara requests you have known your references for 4+ years. Not relatives or related to each other. They need to sign all 3 applications. References signatures do not need to be notarized. All references will have a background check performed and they will be interviewed.
4) If you have ever been arrested or charged with a crime, you must provide court disposition for each arrest, these can be obtained from the court where you stood in front of the judge. Applicants also have to write an incident letter about each arrest. This does not include moving violations such as a speeding ticket.
5) Fill out all 3 identical applications and accompanying sheets. You will need address of your employer. Also the reason that a permit is required. Make sure you check the box for CARRY CONCEALED! Permit office will notarize your signature when you turn in the application.
6) When you turn in your application you will need the following…
– All 3 applications (in packet)
– Acknowledgement form (in packet)
– PP 11/97 form (in packet)
– Original Handgun safety course certificate
– NYS drivers license
– $20 application fee (cash or check)
– $16 for photos FTWNY will take your photos in class at no extra charge to the student
7) After turning in your application, you will be sent by the Permit Office, to be electronically fingerprinted. This fee is about $100 and will be paid at the time you are fingerprinted. This process will be explained in class and again when you turn in your application.
8) Within a few weeks your references will receive a survey. They need to return the survey within 10 days of receiving it. Remind them of this!
9) Investigating officer will contact you
10) You will receive a letter in the mail. Normally within 2 to 6 months to let you know that they have approved your permit. Niagara County usually issues Full Carry (no restrictions)
You should use”Hunting and target shooting as well as Personal Protection” as the reason on your application. They want the reason SHORT and SIMPLE, Niagara does not want you to write paragraphs about why you need to carry.
Once you have been approved for your permit, you will go to the pistol permit office to pick up your permit. At this point you will sit down with the Niagara County pistol permit investigator. He will ask very few standard questions. He’ll go over the FAQ and let you ask any questions that you might have before he hands you the plastic permit card.
Niagara does not require that you buy a pistol within a certain time period or anything of that nature. You have as much time as you want to buy your first pistol. Niagara County only allows you to co-register with someone who lives in your home.
If you have questions you can contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org or 716.903.2558 or fill out the contact form below with your Name & Phone Number and your question or questions.
*Please be sure to check your e-mail spam folder as our response to your request may end up there. We apologize for this inconvenience.